Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Flying Start to the New Year

11th April 2006

Photo Gallery

Photograph of Flying Start to the New Year

Local Air Cadets, Sergeant David Struthers from Thurso and Corporal Christopher Bremner from Wick had a flying start to the year when they attended RAF Kinloss for their Gliding Scholarships.

They arrived at Kinloss early on the 2nd January, and spent a week learning all the knowledge and skills required to successfully complete the course.

Both cadets had previously undertaken Initial Glider Training, where they had gained the basics of handling a glider, during short flights. However, this was a much more intensive course with each day including the theory of aircraft handling, principles of flight, emergency procedures and around 2 hour’s practical gliding experience.

Midweek they had to undertake a written examination to test their knowledge before they could complete the course. The result that David achieved in this exam was high enough that he was eligible to attempt a solo flight, if his instructors were happy with his hands-on skills.

Both cadets gained more practical gliding experience towards the end of the week, and were introduced to speaking to Air Traffic Control and dealing with engine failures. The crucial day arrived, and the morning was used to carry out final practice. David then carried out a solo check flight (accompanied by an observing instructor) and after a smooth flight, with all emergencies dealt with appropriately, he was told "you are ready to go solo" and the instructor left the aircraft.

David said "Going through the pre-flight checklists I started feeling a little bit nervous. As I started the engine and began taxiing towards the runway I was feeling even more anxious but as soon as the wheels of the aircraft left the ground I felt quite at ease. Time passed extremely quickly and before I knew it I was getting ready for the landing. As the wheels touched the ground, and the aircraft slowed to a halt, I couldn’t believe that I had flown a glider completely on my own."

Squadron Leader Duncan Sutherland presented Christopher with Blue Wings for completing his Gliding Scholarship successfully. He also presented David with Silver Wings for completing his Gliding Scholarship and accomplishing a solo flight.

Related Organisations

Related Articles

Action and Adventure For Young People Aged 12.5 to 17Thumbnail for article : Action and Adventure For Young People Aged 12.5 to 17
If you're a fan of aviation, action and adventure, love sports and getting to know people then you're in the right place.   Every year nearly 56,000 air cadets and volunteer staff take part in exciting events all over the country.  
Wick ATC Cadets At Highland Wing - Sports Drill and CompetitionsThumbnail for article : Wick ATC Cadets At Highland Wing - Sports Drill and Competitions
On 13th May members of 1285 (Caithness) Squadron travelled from Wick to RAF Kinloss to participate in the Highland Wing Drill, Aircraft Recognition and modelling competitions.  High School exams limited the numbers of cadets who were able to travel, but attending the events were James Bamfield, Christopher Bremner, Yeager Coghill, Kerry Wilson, Kerry Smith, Diane Banks and Steffi Niwa.  
Awards 2006 At Annual Parents EveningThumbnail for article : Awards 2006 At Annual Parents Evening
Miss Anne Dunnett, Lord Lieutenant of Caithness, was inspecting officer at the Thurso Air Cadet’s Annual Parent’s Night and Presentation of Awards in the Royal British Legion Thurso at the end of April.  In addressing the cadets, Miss Dunnett highlighted their high standard of turnout and emphasised that, by being part of an organisation such as the Air Cadets, they were all youngsters who were doing something to make a difference in their lives.  
Caithness Air Cadets Hit Success In Athletics CompetitionsThumbnail for article : Caithness Air Cadets Hit Success In Athletics Competitions
Cadets from the 1769 (THURSO) Squadron Air Cadets have been flying high over the last few weeks with great success in Athletics.   Seven cadets, representing their Squadron against the rest of Highland Wing achieved 9 Gold and 3 Silver medals.  
Cadets Travel 1000 Miles For AdventureThumbnail for article : Cadets Travel 1000 Miles For Adventure
Eleven cadets and 3 members of staff from the Thurso Squadron travelled over 1000 miles to attend an Adventure Training Camp in Staffordshire.   The green camp was held at the Anzio Army Training Base in Leek and was organised by the 1406 (SPALDING) Sqn.  
20/11/2003
Stuart Craigie Heads On To Propulsion EngineerThumbnail for article : Stuart Craigie Heads On To Propulsion Engineer
Young Castletown man, Stuart Craigie, has successfully completed his RAF basic training and he now moves on to 12 month trade training at RAF Cosford for his role as a propulsion engineer.  He will then partake in on-the-job training at an operational base and he hopes this will be servicing the Nimrod aircraft, possibly at RAF Kinloss.