Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

New Highland Youth Convener Takes Up The Reins For 2024/25

14th September 2024

Photograph of New Highland Youth Convener Takes Up The Reins For 2024/25

Lauren McKittrick from Inverness has taken up the role of Highland Youth Convener, becoming the 16th young person to take on the job since 2007.

22-year-old Lauren has been involved in outdoor education and has experience as a volunteer youth worker with the Army welfare service as well as undertaking community engagement projects with the Inverness Museum and Art Gallery.

As Highland Youth Convener, Lauren will provide a consistent link for elected members and senior officials in The Highland Council, representing young people's views, acting as a sounding board for youth issues and attending relevant Council and Community Planning Partner meetings.

The Highland Youth Convener role is a full-time bursary position that runs for 12 months. The candidate works closely with young people across the Highlands through Highland Youth Parliament, area youth forums and pupil councils in secondary schools.

Lauren said: "I am delighted to be awarded this remarkable opportunity, it is a truly unique chance to gain a clear understanding of both the issues and interests of the young people living in the Highlands.

"Over the course of the year, I will be collating the views expressed, and passing them on to local organisations, The Highland Council and Community Planning partners, ensuring that young people have a voice in the decisions that affect them and their wider community.

"My aim is to ensure that there are opportunities for each and every young person in the Highlands to develop their skills and interests to promote their well-being. I will be working hard to remove established barriers to opportunities, as well as partnering with local organisations to create more chances for young people to get involved with their community such as through music, the arts, sports and so on.

"I am keen to provide a platform to those whose voices often go unheard, therefore I will be making in person visits to clubs, charities, and schools a priority throughout the year. I will make active efforts to reach out to those young people needing more support, for example, young people who are refugees, military families, home schoolers young carers and care experienced young people, linking in with and supporting existing projects where I can.

"Ultimately, I hope to empower the young people of the Highlands with the knowledge that their voices matter and are heard while also allowing them the opportunity for personal growth regardless of barriers that are presented."

Lauren attended her first Education Committee meeting at The Highland Council today (Thursday 14th September). Committee Chair Cllr John Finlayson said: "I am delighted along with my fellow Members to welcome Lauren McKittrick to the Education Committee today. We all look forward to her future participation and contribution at future Council meetings, representing the youth voice of Highland. I am sure that Lauren will be an asset to our committees and we look forward to working with her during her term as Youth Convener."

Michael Golding, Chair of High Life Highland added: "Congratulations to Lauren on becoming the new Highland Youth Convener. She will play a pivotal role in representing our area's young people in the coming year. I am sure that Lauren will find the role very rewarding and we all very much look forward to working with her."

Bill Lobban, Convener of The Highland Council said: “The Highland Youth Convener post is a really important role in helping us better understand and engage with issues affecting our Young People. I would like to take this opportunity to welcome Lauren to the job and wish her every success."

Raymond Bremner, Leader of The Highland Council, added: “The youth across Highland are valued and how Highland is shaped for their present and future is vitally important. It's imperative that their views and aspirations for the future are clearly heard and listened to by the various organisations operating here and that they are involved in decision making processes. I welcome Lauren to her new role and look forward to working with her over the next year."

PHOTO
Kate Lackie. Assistant Chief Executive, Drew Miller vice-chair Education Committee, Lauren McKittrick the new Youth Convenor, Education Committee Chair Cllr John Finlayson