Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Free School Meals FAQ

12th April 2020

This handy guide to Free School Meals has been put out by Noss Primary School and applies across the Highland region.

Free School Meals FAQ
NOSS PRIMARY SCHOOL

The latest information from the Highland Council regarding free school meals is below.

Who is entitled to receive the voucher?

Following Scottish Government guidance, vouchers can be given to children in P1-P3 who receive School Clothing Grants and all children in P4 - S6 who are entitled to Free School Meals.

Children in Early Years who are eligible will also be supported during this time. Further details will be issued to families shortly.

I think I am entitled for School Clothing Grants and/or Free School Meals. How do I apply?

If your circumstances have changed, or you have not previously applied for a School Clothing Grant or Free School Meals, then you can apply online at: -

https://www.highland.gov.uk/info/899/schools_-_grants_and_benefits/10/free_school_meals_and_assistance_with_clothing

How much is paid?

£15 per child per week.

What is an e-voucher?

An e-voucher is a digital voucher that you can use to pay for food. It is sent to your e-mail address.

How are e-vouchers issued?

They are sent via e-mail to the main contact e-mail address provided by you to the school.

What can they be used for?

For food and everyday supplies. Exclusions include alcohol, tobacco, lottery tickets and fuel.

How do they work?

You can either print the voucher, use the e-mail in store or take a screen shot using your smart phone.

Where can they be used?

They can generally be used in any of the following retailers: Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, Marks & Spencersand Morrisons.

(The exception is for vouchers issued through "PayPoint" for those the most remote areas of the Highlands where they can be used at retail outlets that offer PayPoint).

Who are they issued to?

They are sent via e-mail to the main contact e-mail address provided by you to the school.

What do I do if my e-mail address has changed?

Please e-mail School.FoodVouchers@highland.gov.ukthe following information:

• Current main contact e-mail address
• New main contact e-mail address
• Main contact name
• Home address
• Post code
• Contact telephone number
• Name of school/s attended by your child/children
What do I do if the Council has written to me for mymain contact e-mail address?

Please e-mail School.FoodVouchers@highland.gov.ukthe following information:

• Current main contact e-mail address
• New main contact e-mail address
• Main contact name
• Home address
• Post code
• Contact telephone number
• Name of school/s attended by your child/children

Will the Council phone me to ask me for my e-mail address?

No, never. The Council will write to you seeking this information if required and you will be asked to respond to: – School.FoodVouchers@highland.gov.uk

I do not have an email address, what can I do?

If you do not have a contact email address that we can use, please contact us via the HC Helpline on 0300 303 1362.

I have not received an e-mail or a letter from Highland Council, but my children already get Free School Meals. What should I do?

Please contact us via the HC email :School.FoodVouchers@highland.gov.uk

I have not received my voucher?

Some vouchers could go into your Spam/junk e-mail. Please ensure you check before e-mailing School.FoodVouchers@highland.gov.uk

How often are vouchers issued?

We intend to issue fortnightly payment in advance with the next vouchers due to be issued during the weekcommencing 13 April 2020, and on a fortnightly basis thereafter.

Can I get change if my shop is less than the value of the voucher?

No cash/change is available from these vouchers. If your spend is less than the value of the voucher, then the balance can be used on your next shop with that same retailer, and the total value of the voucher is to be used within 3 months of the date of issue of the voucher.

There are some exceptions to this and in these circumstances, payments will be issued through "PayPoint" for those in the most remote areas of the Highlands. Paypoint vouchers are exchanged for cash at retail outlets that offer PayPoint.

Does the voucher need to be spent in the one transaction?

No. If your spend is less than the value of the voucher, the balance can be used on your next shop with that retailer, and the total value of the voucher is used within 3 months of the date of issue of the voucher.

For vouchers issued through “PayPoint” for those in the most remote areas of the Highlands, the vouchers expire after 1 month.

If you have any questions, please contact School.FoodVouchers@highland.gov.uk