Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Bill Fernie Walked Through Wick Checking On The Buildings

22nd April 2022

Photo Gallery

Photograph of Bill Fernie Walked Through Wick Checking On The Buildings

After four sunny days on the campaign trail the weather finally turned today Just dull and a bit cooler and ok for walking.

It is easy to see Wick has a huge problem with empty buildings and shops especially on the route through the town centre.

Here are a few now empty ones and there are more in other streets than the route taken today - Check the Photo Gallery for all the photos.

Homeaid, Bridge Street
Former Clydesdale/Virgin Bank
Former TSB Bank
Former Royal Bank
Former church recently a furniture shop but now up for sale again
Former Hustons Chip shop/restaurant now called Lets Eat - now bought but looks like nothing is happening after new Chinese owners bought it and nothing now happening.
Former Woolworth building remains empty having had a few different tenants.
Semichem - on a prime corner site.
The old Hydro electric Shop - still empty

Worryingly a number of businesses are up for sale -
Queens Hotel
Mackays Hotel
Wetherspoons - up for sale in 2019 but not sold so the company seems to be testing the market once again.
Keystore up for sale
The Toy shop
Premier Cuts - barber shop up for lease.

The Bus shelter opposite the Norseman is getting into a state since Stagecoach buses no longer stop there. The electronic sign inside say refer to timetable but there is not one there and no sign to say you now get the buses in Bridge Street. Baffled visitors are enquiring at the hotel and of course some are missing buses due to attending the wrong place to catch a bus. This needs fixed soon. Sent an email to Stagecoach already.

Plenty more problem need to be addressed and if elected I will meet in with other councillors and officials to see what can be done. Wicks Heart may need more help to organise more after having done work to sort out two sites.

The Sustrans work will be coming forwards and that will help make the place look more attractive to prospective new business owners. I will try to push that forward as much work has already been done.

A meeting Highland and Islands enterprise would seem appropriate and I know that the Chief Executive Stuart Black and the chairman Alistair Dodds whom I worked with on previous councils are always open to new suggestions.

There a range of funders around in the county and elsewhere to galvanising them to one plan would surely make a difference.

My previous experience on council committees will allow me to get going fast after the election. Potentially we will have some great councillors independent or party reps and I am sure if we work together we can make a difference.