Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Down's Syndrome Photo Exhibition At Eden Court Theatre

5th March 2014

Photograph of Down's Syndrome Photo Exhibition At Eden Court Theatre

Charity’s frank photo exhibition pierces through stigma of Down’s syndrome at Eden Court Theatre.

Rhoda Grant MSP alongside Down’s Syndrome Scotland’s Family Support Service Officer for the Highlands and Islands launched a free documentary photograph exhibition at Eden Court on Monday 3rd March. The month-long exhibition coincides with United Nations World Down’s Syndrome Day (21st March) and Down’s Syndrome Awareness Week (17-23 March).

The exhibition titled Six percent. Down’s Syndrome: My Photographs, Their Stories showcases intimate moments, relationships and everyday lives of people with Down’s syndrome and their families.
Six Percent pierces through the stigma of Down’s syndrome and shows that family life goes on. The exhibition features families across Scotland and was photographed by documentary photographer Graham Miller.

Rhoda Grant said:“I’m delighted to support Down’s Syndrome Scotland’s Six Percent exhibition at the Eden Court Theatre. The exhibition showcases that family life goes on despite a person’s disability. With Down’s Syndrome Scotland’s new Family Support Service Officer for the Highlands and Islands, local families of people with Down’s syndrome now have a place to turn for any question no matter how big or small.”

Shona Robertson, Down’s Syndrome Scotland’s new Family Support Service Officer for the Highlands and Islands, will also be available to any people with Down’s syndrome, their families or professionals for drop-in sessions or questions at the exhibition every Tuesday from noon to 2 pm throughout March.

Shona Robertson said:“I look forward to meeting and supporting people with Down’s syndrome, their families and professionals at the Six Percent exhibition at Eden Court. Down’s Syndrome Scotland’s Family Support Service is an all-through-life service that provides home visits to families; training to teachers, coaches and carers; and support and information via telephone, e-mail and social media. Any questions, big or small, we’re here to help.”

The exhibition showcases select photographs from Graham Miller’s book Six percent. Down’s Syndrome: My Photographs, Their Stories and will be available for purchase at Eden Court Theatre Box Office for £19.99. All proceeds from the first 500 copies will go to Down’s Syndrome Scotland.

The exhibition will run from 3rd March until 31st March in The Gallery, first floor of Eden Court Theatre.

The exhibition and book title Six Percent comes from the National Down’s Syndrome Cytogenetic Register’s 2010 report for England and Wales, which determined that 91% of pregnancies are terminated after a prenatal diagnosis of Down's syndrome. Out of the 9% carried forward approximately 6% result in live births.

Photo
Left to right Shona Robertson, Heather Irish, Rhoda Macdonald MSP, Beth Smillie.