Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Two Caithness Residents Benefit From First Wind Farm Education And Training Fund

20th December 2019

Photograph of Two Caithness Residents Benefit From First Wind Farm Education And Training Fund

* Bad á Cheò Wind Farm Education & Training Fund created to benefit residents.

* First local beneficiaries to undertake qualifications in Kiltmaking and Accounting.

Following extensive local consultation on the use of the renewables community fund associated with Bad á Cheò Wind Farm, innogy Renewables UK is delighted that earlier this year local community councils have agreed to increase its flexibility by distributing the monies not only to community groups but also to individual residents for the purposes of increasing their employment potential.

Taking advantage of the fund, the first two beneficiaries, Zoe Farquhar and Louise Todd, will both undertake courses that will increase their ability to generate more income and work for themselves. After taking an Introduction to Kiltmaking course in Keith, Moray, Zoe Farquhar realised that there is a demand locally for handmade kilts by participants in Highland Dance Schools as well as sympathetic repairs to older garments. Zoe said: "My aim after completing the SQA in Kiltmaking is to start up my own business. As there is no kilt supplier or repair shop in Caithness, hundreds of local dancers are having to purchase their outfits out with the area. I am delighted that I will be able to provide a much-needed service locally."

Louise Todd, has been successfully compiling accounts on a freelance basis for several years, but without a professional qualification. This is about to change as she embarks on the AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting. Louise said: "Upon completing the course, I will have the skill set to successfully undertake senior accounting tasks including advanced booking keeping and more. I will be awarded AAT Bookkeeper status which will give me the added confidence to expand my business."

Katy Woodington, innogy Renewables UK's Community Investment Manager, said: “innogy is delighted with this flexible use of wind farm funding. As the first two awards highlight, these small education and training awards can have a major positive impact, socially and economically, on the lives of Caithness residents. Zoe and Louise will soon be equipped with a range of skills that will not only increase their employability, but also provide a service locally that currently is not available.”

The Bad á Cheò Wind Farm Community Fund is being managed by Foundation Scotland on behalf of the funding panel. Caithness-based Foundation Scotland Community Coordinator, Eilidh Coll, said: “Now that we have made the first two awards, hopefully people will be able to see the tangible benefits of applying for a helping hand to do a course or undertake some training. As Zoe and Louise have shown, local people could improve their life chances and potentially gain new or different employment.

Deadlines for applications to the Community Fund will vary across the areas and can be viewed at https://www.foundationscotland.org.uk/programmes/bad-a-cheo/

PHOTO - Louise Todd

Related Organisations

Related Articles

26/9/2019
innogy Launches Flexible Wind Farm Fund To Increase Employment PotentialThumbnail for article : innogy Launches Flexible Wind Farm Fund To Increase Employment Potential
· Bad á Cheò Wind Farm Education & Training Fund created to benefit local residents.   · £133,250 fund per annum now open for applications from residents and community groups.