Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Do You have Information or Memories about the American Base in Caithness For a New Book

9th October 2019

The United States Navy built a radio station at West Murkle and Forss, in 1962. The station had accommodation at Burnside, Castletown and John Kennedy Drive. Many sailors and civilian staff, including British civil servants, lived in the local community due to limited living quarters. The station's leisure facilities were open to locals and station personnel participated in community events. Around 100 Americans married local girls. Many who worked at the station have continued their friendships with colleagues and locals via social media. The station closed in 1992.

I am writing a book about the United States military presence in Scotland during the Cold War. Thurso was an important base during this period. There must be local memory of the base and its associated activities. Could any locals who wish to share their memories please contact me?

You can contact me at: d.g.mackay@btinternet.com

David Mackay