Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Family History Conference - Saturday, April 27th

24th April 2019

Family history enthusiasts from across Scotland and beyond will gather in Caithness this month for a major one-day conference.

Wick's Pulteney Centre Saturday is the venue on Saturday, April 27th for the annual conference of the Scottish Association of Family History Societies (SAFHS) under the title of Northern Roots.

Caithness Family History Society will mark its 20th anniversary by hosting the event, which combines a formal programme of talks for paying delegates with a family history fair open to the public.

The conference will be officially opened by Lord Thurso, and MC for the day will be local historian Harry Gray.
Ian Leith is vice-chairperson of CFHS and was instrumental in bringing the event to Caithness for the first time.

"There are two strands to it," he explained. "There's the conference part, whereby people can sign up as delegates and for that they get three lectures on the Saturday morning, then they are being bussed over to the Nucleus archive centre.

“Alongside that there is the family history fair so the various family history societies across Scotland bring their information, and that will run all day. That’s an open part of the conference so local people are more than welcome to participate."

Find My Past, one of the leading genealogical websites, will be represented at the event and will be opening up its website free of charge on the day.

Ian added: “To help people that maybe have particular enquiries, we have an ‘ask the expert’ panel that will be there all day as well.”

Booking forms for delegates are available from committee members and also on the CFHS and SAFHS websites: caithnessfhs.org.uk and www.safhs.org.uk

“As for the fair, you don’t have to book for that - just turn up, come along,” Ian added. “We believe that this is a glorious opportunity for Caithness Family History Society to showcase family history and genealogy in Caithness.”

The fair will run from 10am to 4.30pm.

Related Organisations

Related Articles

20/1/2024
Caithness Family History TalksThumbnail for article : Caithness Family History Talks
See poster.  
18/1/2023
My Family Tree and Treasures I have FoundThumbnail for article : My Family Tree and Treasures I have Found
See poster for details..  
6/1/2019
Caithness Family History Society's first talk of 2019Thumbnail for article : Caithness Family History Society's first talk of 2019
Caithness Family History Society's first talk of the New Year will be in a new venue; Thurso Library.   The speaker will be Caitlin Morrison, a history teacher at Wick High School.  
15/4/2017
Books From Caithness Family History SocietyThumbnail for article : Books From Caithness Family History Society
CAITHNESS FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY (Scottish Registered Charity No.  SC029848) has published 8 books which can help with family history research.  
4/4/2017
Get Help With Your Family History Search
After its winter break, Caithness Family History Society has restarted its "help" sessions for those who would like to research their family history, or need advice on how to continue.   If you are interested, go along to the CFHS office in Caithness Horizons, Old Town Hall, Thurso, between 2pm and 4pm on any Saturday afternoon or on the last Wednesday afternoon of any month.  
27/11/2014
CHRISTMAS BREAK FROM ANCESTOR SEARCH
Caithness Family History Society volunteers, who man our office in Caithness Horizons, Thurso, on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons between 2 and 4, will be having a break in December and January.   We will be happy to see you again in February.