Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Wick Teacher Working With Rwanda's Teachers This Summer

16th July 2018

Photograph of Wick Teacher Working With Rwanda's Teachers This Summer

A Wick High School teacher is spending the summer in Rwanda delivering teacher training opportunities in the country.

Caitlin Morrison, who teaches social subjects and history, is travelling to the Zaza in the Eastern Province as part of the Global Learning Partnerships (GLP) professional development programme alongside charity Inspire, Educate and Empower Rwanda.

She will spend four weeks in the country.

Caitlin, 29, originally of Australia, said:"I have always wanted to make a difference and improve education in Africa. The collaborative approach of GLP is more sustainable than simply being a ‘voluntourist'.

"I am looking forward to learning how Rwandan teachers work with limited and non-digital resources, as well as experiencing life in a community so different to home.

"As well as bringing something to the classrooms of Zaza, I am looking forward to the lessons I bring back here to Wick with a renewed sense of creativity."

Global Learning Partnerships is a teaching professional development programme delivered and majority-funded by The Wood Foundation. Programme Manager Georgea Hughes said:

“Global Learning Partnerships is all about shared learning to give Scotland's teachers a true global lens in which to educate young people. It is a collaborative and life-changing professional development opportunity and we are delighted Caitlin is set to embrace the challenges ahead."

To raise the remaining funds for the trip, Caitlin baked, ran Zumba classes and hosted a raffle and quiz night.

PHOTO
Caitlin Morrison wearing sunglasses with other teachers and pupils.