Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Wick man urges people to join the BOWEL MOVEMENT

28th January 2016

A Wick man, whose bowel cancer was caught early after completing his home bowel screening test, is backing a campaign to encourage people to join the ‘bowel movement.

Hamish Macleod, who was diagnosed in January 2015, had no signs of bowel cancer so is urging others to take the test, even if they feel well, as it can often spot hidden symptoms.

Statistics show that the likelihood of surviving bowel cancer is 14 times higher if detected at an early stage compared to a late stage1, and the home bowel screening test - offered to people aged 50 to 74 - remains the most effective way of finding the disease early.

Every year, half a million people in Scotland complete and return their bowel screening test, and although the figure is higher than ever before, the Detect Cancer Early campaign is targeting those who put off taking the test.

The 66 year old father of two explained: I did the test and returned it as normal and did not think any more of it. I had no symptoms and was feeling great, working away as normal. A few weeks later I received a letter asking me to re-do the screening test.

Hamish completed the test and early in January, he was called to say that a colonoscopy would be needed. He attended Caithness General Hospital, where biopsies taken confirmed he had bowel cancer.

Hamish said: "The results from the bowel screening test were inconclusive, however, the colonoscopy gave the surgeon cause for concern. I underwent a second colonoscopy which confirmed a cancerous tumour.

In April 2015, Hamish started radiotherapy and chemotherapy treatment at Raigmore Hospital in Inverness and in July he went through surgery where the tumour and 20 glands were removed from his bowel.

Hamish said: "I never suffered any adverse effects from my treatment and I carried on working up until I had the operation. At the moment I have a stoma but have been told this will be reversed in February.

Hamish, who works part-time as a Porter at Caithness General Hospital, is urging people who put off doing their bowel screening test to do it as soon as it comes through the post.

He said: Since being diagnosed I have spoken to a number of people who have not done the test, who have said that they had better start. I dont understand peoples reluctance. It costs nothing and can be a life-saver. I have nothing but praise for the people involved in my care since being diagnosed and all throughout my treatment, it was absolutely brilliant.
I have my wife, two daughters and three young granddaughters who I want to see grow up. That's my incentive for taking part in screening. I am living proof that doing the bowel screening test is worth it.

Health Secretary Shona Robison said: People who receive their bowel screening test may be put off by the process, but the reality is that more people than ever in Scotland are completing the test and returning it. This means more people have a better chance of bowel cancer being detected early, when the chances of survival are much higher.

It is positive that participation is rising, but Detect Cancer Early is focused on encouraging those who have dismissed taking the test or are putting off completing and returning it. We want everyone in Scotland to have the best chance of surviving cancer - and bowel cancer can often be cured, if it’s caught early.

For further information visit getcheckedearly.org or call the Scottish Bowel Screening Helpline on 0800 0121 833.