Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Deloitte Ride Across Britain Arrives in Scotland UK's largest Land's End to John O’Groats Cycle Ride

6th September 2015

1 September 2015: More than 800 cyclists set off on the Deloitte Ride Across Britain, the UK's largest Land’s End to John O’Groats cycle ride, on 5th September. The riders will reach Scotland on Thursday 10th September and the schedule is as follows:

Thursday 10th September: Dumfries and Galloway, South Lanarkshire
Friday 11th September: Glasgow, Stifling, Argyll and Bute, Fort William
Saturday 12th September: Fort William, Highlands, Inverness
Sunday 13th September: Highlands, John O’Groats

If you would like to talk to any local riders from Scotland, please get in touch.

Now in its sixth year, the Deloitte Ride Across Britain is widely recognised as the UK’s premier long distance cycling event and it takes cyclists of all levels of fitness and ability through some of the country’s most breath-taking landscapes.

Nick Tuppen, Managing Director of Threshold Sports, which organises the event, says: "Last year 93% of participants in the Deloitte Ride Across Britain rated it as one of the best experiences of their lives. It really is one of the greatest sportives this country has to offer with a stunning route, unrivalled logistical support and enormous camaraderie. We are looking forward to welcoming cyclists from all over the world with a range of backgrounds and cycling and fitness abilities to complete the challenge and discover our mantra that more is in you."

More than 800 riders from Kenya, Botswana, Nigeria, Japan, Australia, America, Canada and Europe will cycle an average of 108 miles a day for nine days climbing around 15,000 metres - almost twice the height of Everest. Starting at Land’s End, they will travel through Dartmoor, the Lakes and the Scottish Highlands crossing barren moorlands, majestic highlands and lush green valleys, winding back lanes and stunning coastal roads before finishing at John O’Groats.

This year, the event will play host to Olympic and Paralympic gold medallists in the run-up to Rio 2016. Olympic gold medallist Nicole Cooke will ride alongside Tim Reddish OBE, Chairman of the British Paralympic Association, Paralympic cyclist Jody Cundy and David Clarke, the Paralympic visually impaired footballer.

Most of the field, though, will be made up of a range of cycling fitness and abilities. Riders take part for all sorts of reasons - as a personal challenge, for the route and the outstanding support offered by the Deloitte Ride Across Britain crew, to raise money for charity and to experience something new with new people.

The Deloitte Ride Across Britain is one of the UK’s top cycling fundraisers. Since it launched in 2010, it has raised more than £1.5 million for the British Paralympic Association and matched this for other charities, making a total in excess of £3 million.

The event is fully supported. Participants are given training programmes and advice and can take part in exclusive training days. The route is sign posted, so that even though it takes in a lot of back routes, it’s quite hard for anyone to get lost.

Riders stay overnight in base camps where they are given a delicious supper and hearty breakfast and everyone has his own tent and mattress. There is medical and mechanical support as well as massage therapists and physiotherapists. Two pit stops every day offer food, drinks and loos and a welcome break, and on particularly hard days there are two extra power pit stops, while chaperones ensure everyone is cycling safely and within the law. Although the ride is not a race, it is timed and tracked so that spectators and supporters can keep track of participants’ progress.

The Olympic rower, Alex Partridge, who rode in 2014 says, “The Ride Across Britain is the most physically gruelling but also rewarding thing I have ever been a part of.”

Mark Douglas, a regular cyclist who also completed the 2014 event says, “In the space of nine months, the Deloitte Ride Across Britain has changed the life of this 45 year old man. It helped me achieve what countless years of New Year resolutions failed to. I don’t think it’s overstating things to say that it has reinvigorated me for the second half of my life.”

For further press information, please contact Sophie Bickford on 020 7274 8871 or 07793 053 883 or email sophie.bickford[AT]btinternet.com.

About Deloitte Ride Across Britain
www.rideacrossbritain.com

Deloitte Ride Across Britain is a mass participation cycle event for individuals and corporate team riders cycling from Land’s End to John O’Groats over nine days. There is the option to do the full route, England or Scotland packages, with an additional option for corporate teams to bring daily stage riders.

The ride begins at Land’s End passing through Okehampton, Bath, Ludlow, Manchester, Carlisle, Glasgow, Fort William and Kyle of Sutherland before finishing at John O’Groats. It runs from 5th to 13th September. There are roughly 750 full route riders and 100 Daily Stage riders.

Now in its sixth year, Deloitte Ride Across Britain (Deloitte RAB) event was launched by Threshold Sports to offer an opportunity for solo riders to cycle the iconic route from Land’s End to John O’Groats. There are nine daily stages of approx 106 miles and each daily stage will have two pit stops, with extra ‘power pit stops’ on the longest days, providing energy re-fuelling. The event appeals to general sports fans and cyclists of ranging abilities - whether a regular or ‘Sunday’ cyclist, the supportive nature of the event means that it is accessible for everyone.

Each evening base camps will be installed at the stage end for participants to secure their bikes, enjoy food and drink, use showers and toilets, meet friends and family nearby, and space to sleep overnight (with their tents already set up)

As part of Deloitte’s commitment to Disability Sport, Deloitte has chosen BPA to be the event’s benefiting charity, with the aim of adding to the £1.3 million raised by its own staff and other riders taking part in the 2010 to 2014 events. The support provided through Deloitte Ride Across Britain will make an enormous difference to the preparations the BPA can offer the British team ahead and beyond Rio 2016.

What riders said about the Ride Across Britain 2014:
“What an epic experience [AT]DeloitteRAB. Thanks [AT]ThresholdUK for flawless support along the way.”
“Knowing that each and everyone dug deep, worked hard and achieved, it was emotional and inspiring, a memory that will stay with me forever!”
“Keep up the great work! I can never speak too highly of what you and Threshold do for everyone to make the RAB one of the best.”
“This was my first time and I can't recommend it enough. I made new friends and had new experiences it was just incredible. My advice? Just do it.”
“The most amazing, challenging and rewarding days I've spent testing myself. Thanks for helping us struggle through the wind, rain and those damn hills. Never has a finish line been more welcoming.”