Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

North MSP highlight need for more to be done to tackle bullying

24th July 2015

Highlands and Islands (including Moray) MSP, Rhoda Grant, who set up the anti-bullying site Tobie (Tackling Oppressive Behaviour In Employment) is delighted at the number of people accessing her site, but she is equally concerned by the level of bullying in the workplace that is on-going. Eight months ago, during December 2014, Rhoda Grant launched the site in Inverness and Elgin.

Speaking this afternoon, Rhoda Grant said "There have been 5144 ‘hits' on our site since we launched, which is very pleasing indeed in one respect, but equally concerning in another, because this indicates that there are a lot of people out there looking for advice on bullying generally, bullying in the workplace in particular and also with regards to oppressive behaviour".

“I have had contact from people experiencing this anti-social form of behaviour from Wick, the Western Isles, various parts of the mainland, including Inverness and the surrounding area and for some reason a fair amount from Moray. I cannot divulge the details of these cases, but in a recent Moray case the bullying and oppressive behaviour took the form of bullying by a colleague, with almost daily harassment and notes being left lying around the workplace highlighting failings of the bullied individual. In another recent Moray case a worker was being targeted by another worker, who was intimidated daily by verbal harassment. In both these cases, the individuals being bullied have suffered health problems as a result. Employers have to take notice of this issue and deal with the behaviour in a firm and effective manner. Apart from anything else they are losing staff days to sickness because of bullying”.

“This is not something that affects junior workers, it can happen at any stage in someone’s career and regardless of their profession”.

“ In an Inverness case, a professional within an organisation was being bullied by a fellow professional who took great pleasure in making the individual feel inadequate and not up to the job”.

“ I cannot emphasis enough how this type of behaviour should not be tolerated at all and I appeal for any one being subjected to this type of behaviour to go onto my web site where hopefully they will find sound and useful advice on what to do. The site can be accessed via www.tobie.org.uk”