Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

SNP Candidate For Westminster - Dr Paul Monaghan

18th March 2015

Photograph of SNP Candidate For Westminster - Dr Paul Monaghan

Dr Paul Monaghan.

It's an enormous privilege to be asked to stand for election in the Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross Constituency. People from all walks of life, and all political backgrounds, have shown their support for me to help ensure our area is properly represented at the UK Parliament in London.

I live in Ross-Shire with Stephanie and our daughter. I was educated at Inverness Royal Academy and the University of Stirling and currently work as Director of the Highland Homeless Trust, which delivers a range of housing and social services to vulnerable people across Highland.

I am also very active in a number of voluntary organisations including UHI North Highland College in Thurso, Inverness MS Therapy Centre, ‘Food for Families' in Invergordon that provides basic living supplies to families struggling to make ends meet. I recently played the lead role in establishing the ‘North Highland College Foundation’ based in Wick. This Foundation holds reserves of £1.25 million to help our young people access further and higher education right here at home in Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross.

I am running for election to deliver the fairer Scotland that the people of Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross want and deserve. More and more people in our area want to vote for an experienced candidate that has a track record of actually delivering results. I’m ready to work hard and full time as your MP and to use my knowledge and skills for everyone living in Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross.

I’m asking for people to give me their vote on 7 May so I can do the following:

Develop a growth strategy to replace austerity, encourage innovation and create jobs.

Protect our NHS from further budget cuts and keep our health services free at the point of need.

Support our older people with decent pensions, defend those who are vulnerable and protect our poor rather than punish them.

Stop unfair electricity charges in rural areas and encourage clean energy innovation without damaging overall energy production.

End the UK Government’s incoherent foreign and defence policies to stop foreign wars, scrap expensive and unusable nuclear missiles and implement sensible plans to keep Scotland safe and benefit our young people and future generations.

Ensure investment in Broadband across all our rural communities, protect Royal Mail’s ‘Universal Service Obligation’ and reinstate Scotland’s "block grant" to maintain and upgrade our road, rail and bus networks.

Improve croft availability, transfer the Crown Estate, and implement both Land Reform and a revised CAP to create new opportunities to develop our rural economies.

Ensure that Fracking is never allowed to destroy our communities and never allowed to pollute our land, rivers, beaches and wildlife.

The fairer Scotland that I will work for will allow our young people to flourish, our families and businesses to prosper, and our older people to live in comfort and security.

Find out more about me at: www.paulmonaghan.scot