Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Thurso Interactive Web Site Up And Running

14th March 2015

Photograph of Thurso Interactive Web Site Up And Running

A small charity has launched Thurso Interactive, a new bespoke website devoted to the history of Thurso and the surrounding area. Thurso Heritage Society who in association with Online Projects, part of North Highland College created a new website to showcase previously unseen collections of archive material. Within two weeks since the website went live it has attracted a staggering 50,000 hits from all over the world exceeding all expectations.

The collections, include a range of postcards from the late Henrietta Munro who owned a popular antiques shop The Ships Wheel as well as the extensive collection of archive material owned by Society Chairman and local historian, Alan McIvor. The website also contains a selection of digital video interviews recorded with residents about their life in the town. There are also a small selection of exhibits available which can be rotated 360 degrees.

Mr. McIvor who came up with the idea said "I have such a wide range of material, from images, to maps, medals, archive interviews and various artefacts spanning over 400 years. Unfortunately there are currently no exhibitions about Thurso's unique history available so I am delighted that everyone will be able to log on from the comfort of home to see what is essentially an online museum and find out more about Thurso."

"I'm hoping this will be of great benefit to the town and will bring back lots of happy memories. It's taking history into the present and preserving it for the future. As the name suggests it is interactive so the user can submit information or let us add their own collections to the site which wouldn't normally be seen. This is hopefully the start of many ideas I have in mind to benefit the community and allowing the charity to grow in strength."

Mr McIvor went on to say that "were looking to expand the site in the future. There are a couple of other collections that have been freely offered to be digitised including the vast collection owned by John Thurso MP which he has generously given us access to. It all comes down to getting the volunteers and funding so we can carry out the work but it would be a huge attraction and a massive long term benefit to everyone."

The website is available at: www.thursointeractive.co.uk