Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Thurso Scouts Local Christmas Post Delivery For 20p

4th December 2014

Photograph of Thurso Scouts Local Christmas Post Delivery For 20p

2nd Thurso Scout Group know its good to "Be Prepared" so they are getting ready well in advance for Christmas! Some older readers may remember Scout Christmas Post as the Group ran this with great success in the past. Thanks to the help of Thurso High School technician Alistair Crawford, they are ready to help their community once again.

Alistair has kindly made six post boxes which will be placed in various locations across the town from 1st December. Members of the public are asked to put their town cards into a larger envelope or bag with their name and a contact telephone number included and post this into the box with their donation to the Scouts.

A minimum donation of 20p per card is requested. These will be collected every night by parental volunteers and checked and stamped with a special Scout Post stamp. They will be delivered to their recipients on 13th and 20th December by a team of Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorer Scouts and parent helpers .

The boxes will be sited in the Co-op in Springpark, Frasers in Castlegreen Road, McColls in Ormlie, Ferriers Newsagents in Princes Street, as well as in the Library and the Service Point in Rotterdam Street.

Chairperson, Kate Buchanan said " I am delighted that the idea of resurrecting Scout Post was raised at our meetings. To me, it epitomises what Scouting is about, having fun and supporting your community. The cost of stamps is so high nowadays and we feel sure that many people , especially the elderly, will really appreciate this, knowing they are also supporting our fundraising. I am so grateful that we have such fantastic boxes from Alistair and delighted that the retailers and the council have been so supportive... all we need now are the volunteers!"

Any parent interested in helping either with sorting or delivery, is asked to contact their child's section leader or any member of the committee. Warming Christmas refreshments will be served in the Scout Hut on the day to all who help.

PHOTO
Pictured are Susan Bell, who suggested the idea, with Beaver Matthew Burridge, Cub Esme Buchanan, and Alistair Crawford from Thurso High School