Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

First World War Wick Sailor Still Remembered In Wales

3rd November 2014

Photograph of First World War Wick Sailor Still Remembered In Wales

A Message From Frieda Murray who is originally from Caithness.

I came across James Smith's grave in Pembrey church yard , and have returned several times with a poppy. Pembrey is in the south of Wales not far from Swansea. The body of James was washed shore after his boat was torpedoed in the Bristol Channel. He was only 21 years .

James Smith was born in Wick, his parents John Smith, Fisherman and mother Dina, they lived at Port Dunbar. Siblings were Helen, Jessie, Barbara, John, William and Alex.

His ship SS Tynemouth was torpedoed in Bristol Channel and his body washed ashore on the Welsh coast. He is buried in St Illtyds, Pembrey, Wales. ( I think the boat was heading for Scapa ! perhaps with coal )

In 'Voices in the Wind' it says he was 'lost at sea', but I feel sure that the family knew his body was found in Wales as he has a most beautiful Stone, not the usual War Grave.

I have been to visit a few times and left a poppy, I'd like the family to know James is Remembered.

Freida M Murray