Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

"MY HEART'S IN THE HIGHLANDS" EVENTS

29th October 2014

Photograph of

The story of a medieval Moray abbey, Macphersons in World War I, and the things which people took with them when they left the Highlands are all themes of "My heart's in the Highlands" events in the Highland and Moray Council areas over the next few weeks.

Kinloss Abbey, the Clan Macpherson Museum in Newtonmore, Grantown Museum, Strathnaver Museum in Bettyhill, and libraries in Dingwall, Fort William and Wick are all venues for events focusing on Highland history and culture as part of Homecoming 2014.

The year-long "Needed on a Journey" roving Homecoming exhibition will be at Dingwall Library, Grantown Museum, and Strathnaver Museum (Bettyhill) till this Friday 31st October before moving on to Fort William Library (Friday 7th November - Tuesday 25th November) and Wick Library (Wed 5th November - Monday 24th November). The exhibition, which is part of the "My heart's in the Highlands" Homecoming 2014 events programme, has been put together by High Life Highland. It is visiting various locations around the Highlands and exploring what those who left the Highlands took with them, from physical objects to things people carried in their minds such as stories, songs and recipes.

In Moray this Thursday (30th October, 5.30pm-7pm), the atmospheric ruins of Kinloss Abbey are going to be the dramatic backdrop - thanks to floodlighting by 39 Engineer Regiment - to an evening play performed by pupils from Kinloss Primary School about the Abbey's history and legends. There will also be music from Drumduan Upper School, stories of long ago by Cameron Taylor, and free refreshments.

Meanwhile, there are just a few more days to see the Clan Macpherson Museum's Macphersons in World War I" exhibition which charts the involvement of Macphersons from Badenoch & Strathspey and around the world in the Great War. The exhibition in the museum in Newtonmore runs till Friday 31st October.

For further details of these events and many other events happening in the Highlands and Moray this year, please visit
www.hearthighland.org