Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Highland's new Youth Convener

28th September 2014

Photograph of Highland's new Youth Convener

Shaun Finlayson from Avoch took up the role of Highland Youth Convener in September 2014. This full time role, based at the High Life Highland office in Ardross Street, Inverness, is a bursary position running to the end of August 2015.

As Youth Convener, Shaun provides a consistent link for Elected Members and senior officials in The Highland Council, representing young people's views and will act as a sounding board for youth issues in the Highlands. Shaun will attend Council and Community Planning Partner meetings and has full voting rights on the Education, Children and Adult Services Committee with speaking rights at all other Council Committees.

The Youth Convener works closely with young people across the Highlands through Highland Youth Voice, Area Youth Forums and Pupil Councils in Secondary Schools. Shaun will maintain the links between organisations and partners already established by previous Youth Conveners and will be seeking to develop new connections with organisations across the Highlands. 

Shaun (19) is the eighth Highland Youth Convener and takes over from Ainya Taylor from Inverness. Ainya will be moving on to study for a degree in Politics at Stirling University.

Shaun, who attended Fortrose Academy, has been working for The Highland Council since 2013.

Shaun said,‘I am delighted to have been chosen as the new Youth Convener and I look forward to continuing Ainya's good work and putting forward my own perspective for improving the lives of young people in the Highlands.’

Shaun can be contacted on 01463 663827 or youth.convener[AT]highlifehighland.com