Beat The Burglars - Home Security Tips From SafeChoice
19th August 2014
As the nights draw in and temperatures drop and we start to prepare for the onset of winter, we need to be mindful that burglars often strike under the cover of darkness. Window and door manufacturers, SafeChoice, have some useful tips to making your home safe and secure this winter.
Research shows that in the UK, burglars strike every 40 seconds. Families with children are likely victims and 56% of burglaries happen at night. You are six times more likely to be burgled without both window locks and double locks or deadlocks on outside doors. 73% of burglars use doors to enter a property and in 3% of cases the door is unlocked!
Here is the SafeChoice guide to making your home more secure:
- Remember to lock all doors and windows
- Fit a burglar alarm and ensure it is visible to potential thieves
- Keep valuables and all house and car keys out of sight
- Fit outside security lighting
- Join your local Neighbourhood Watch scheme
- When recycling fold up any packaging that offers a clue to what your home contains
- Take care what personal information you share on social media (such as telling everyone when you are going on holiday)
- Make your home look occupied while you are out or away on holiday by using lights on timers and asking a trusted neighbour or family member to pop in and check everything is OK.
For those who want built in security, Safechoice have developed an SAC bolt system for all their windows and use a secure Yale system for doors for added safety and security. They also work closely with the police under the 'Secure by Design' scheme to ensure the best possible protection and peace of mind.
SafeChoice Doors are all fitted with 10 point locking systems and also offer a futuristic 'Keyfree' locking system option with a remote control keyfob and built in door handle key pad, which allows you to unlock your door by entering your own personal code!
For further information about window and door locking options visit www.safechoice.co.uk or call freephone 0800 0246230.
Keyless remote control lock.