Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Drink & Drug Drivers Caught In Festive Campaign

30th December 2013

Police in Highlands and Islands report two drug drivers during third week of national campaign.

Police in the Highlands and Islands are reporting the detection of two drug drivers during the third week of the festive safety campaign.

During week three of the campaign, which ran from 07:00 hours on Friday 20 December to 07:00 hours of Friday 27 December 2013, nine drivers were found to be over the drink drive limit and two drivers were found to be driving whilst under the influence of drugs.

Divisional Head of Road Policing, Inspector Neil Lumsden said: "As we go into the New Year, officers throughout the Highlands and Islands will continue to carry out static checks and stop drivers suspected to be under the influence of drink or drugs. Drug drivers pose a significant danger to themselves and other road users and I hope that the detection of two drug drivers last week will make those tempted to take drugs and drive think twice.

"Two out of the nine drink drivers detected last week were involved in collisions and as with previous weeks I am grateful to those members of the public who have contacted the police reporting a drink driver which undoubtedly reduces the risk of law-abiding road users being involved in a collision with a drink or drug driver.

"New Year is a time for celebration and my advice to those having a drink as part of the festivities is to leave the car at home, book a taxi, organise a lift or arrange a nominated driver, but don't risk it."

Police are urging the public to contact 101, or at the time of an incident on 999, to provide any information on those they suspect to be drink or drug driving. Reports can also be received anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or online at http://www.crimestoppers/uk.org/. No personal details are taken, information is not traced or recorded and you will not go to court.

The multi agency Festive Drink Drive Campaign commenced on Friday 6 December and will run until the beginning of January supported by advertising featured across TV, radio, online and in bar washrooms to remind drivers of the serious consequences and knock-on effects for them, their livelihoods and their families of drink driving.