Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

SNP Candidate wants to do the best for the locals of Landward Caithness

31st October 2013

Photograph of SNP Candidate wants to do the best for the locals of Landward Caithness

Ed Boyter, from Reay, is the Scottish National Party’s candidate for Landward Caithness in the up-and-coming by-election to be held on Thursday 28th November 2013.

Ed, 39, is originally from Fife but made Caithness his home with his partner when they relocated to Murkle, near Castletown. They now live in Reay.

Ed has been self-employed since he moved here and is a jeweller to trade. He leads a very active life and amongst his hobbies he enjoys hill-walking, rock-climbing and in particular takes to the waves along the north coast as one of the county’s keen surfers. He is also a member of Melvich Gaelic Choir.

Ed has taken a keen interest in politics over a number of years and often engages in discussion about the future of the local area and its role in the bigger picture, both regional and national, with the big questions which now arise as next year’s independence referendum draws nearer.

Ed says “I care deeply about Caithness. I have made it my home, where I live my life and the issues that affect everyone who lives here also affects me. I believe in an active community with a strong community voice, working in co-operation to achieve what's best for our county. I really want to work with the local people to address local issues and to help our community move forward. I want to represent the needs and aspirations of Caithness folk on a local level and importantly, to promote the potential of Caithness for the future.

I passionately believe in our community and our county and given the opportunity to serve the area as Highland Councillor for the Caithness Landward area would be an honour. I would look to represent the area in a way that would make a difference. I believe I have the energy, determination, and commitment for it with fresh ideas, the motivation and the vigour to make things happen.”

Ed is already keen to work with the community on the key issues currently prevailing including renewable energy, diversification within the local economy including tourism, macro and micro business development, local government issues such as social reform issues including the bedroom tax, care in the community and NHS provision. Ed is also keen to work for the local community on other local government issues particularly education in ensuring the sustaining, investment in and development of education provision for the rural Caithness area. Local government service provision along with planning, transport and infrastructure are also to the fore.

Apart from the local topics and issues that Ed believes are foremost in the minds of the local community at the moment, Ed has already been meeting with some of the key people in the area to realise the bigger picture and gain an insight into the opportunities and vision for the future.

Rob Gibson, local MSP, says “Ed is a great candidate for Landward Caithness and I know he will work hard with the people of this county to realise their aims and ambitions. He has already met with some senior business figures in Caithness to find out how he can make a difference and has proved he has drive and determination. It makes sense to vote for someone who can make things happen for Caithness within the administration and he will become part of a great team.”

Ed is eager to meet as many people as possible prior to the by-election and is keen to hear views on issues that matter most to the people of the Caithness Landward area. Ed can be contacted at edboyter.snp[AT]gmail.com