Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Barbara Watson Candidate in Landward Caithness Bi-election

30th April 2013

Photograph of Barbara Watson Candidate in Landward Caithness Bi-election

Bi-election 2nd May

Letter from Barbara Watson

Dear Voters,
I am standing for Landward Caithness because I believe in building vibrant rural communities with employment and opportunities for young folk and appropriate services for older people. I would work to ensure support for local community groups and SMEs and promote diversification in land-based enterprise. I think it is important to keep local schools open where possible so that children may be educated in their own communities and because a school may serve as a focus for events and activities.

Older people often become isolated and have difficulty in accessing the care they require. I would push to develop integrated and focused community care which would reach out to individuals to ensure their quality of life in their familiar surroundings. I would work towards the provision of transport to enable them to attend health centres, collect prescriptions, shop and join in leisure activities.

After attending Golspie High School I trained as a Maths teacher, worked away until 1999 when I returned to become Manager of the Red Cross in Caithness and Sutherland, supporting Red Cross groups in Thurso, Wick and Brora.

In 2003 I became Manager of Lairg Learning Centre and Co-ordinator of Adult Basic Education for Sutherland. I took time off to study Forestry at Aberdeen so have knowledge of land management issues.

I am a Director of East Sutherland Community Care Forum. I am committed to improving life chances in our rural communities and as your Councillor would work with you to safeguard your interests and promote your aspirations.

Barbara Watson
Struan
Lairg
Sutherland
IV27 4ED
01549 402406