Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

Scot of the Year 2012 - Winner

24th January 2013

Photograph of Scot of the Year 2012 - Winner

Martha Payne, writer of a fantastic blog on school dinners and fundraiser extraordinaire, is announced Scot of the Year 2012 by charity for Scots in London to celebrate Burns Day Martha Payne, a 10 year old schoolgirl from Argyll, has been announced Scot of the Year 2012 by ScotsCare, the charity for Scots in London. Martha was on the list in recognition of her fantastic fundraising campaign to support schools in Malawi through her blog about school dinners, which has raised more than £120,000. She has since visited to Malawi to see for herself what the money she has raised is doing to help impoverished schoolchildren.

Second in the poll was Andy Murray, who of course had a brilliantly successful 2012, winning the US Open and becoming the 1st British Slam Winner since 1936 and also winning Olympic Gold. Sir Chris Hoy was in third place, for his outstanding sporting prowess at the Olympics.

When Martha was contacted, she said:“'Wow! Thank you.

It's very special to be awarded Scotscare Scot of the Year. I wish everyone in the final could have won as well because they've all put smiles on so many people's faces this year. It is very kind that people have voted for me. I've only done a little bit and lots of people have helped by doing a little bit as well. I'd like to share the award with everyone that has donated and all the kids in Malawi that we are supporting with Mary's Meals and especially those Lirangwe where the 'Friends of NeverSeconds' kitchen is.

I know dad has bought a haggis for tea because I have seen it in the fridge. I love haggis and we'll celebrate with that tonight!

Thank you,
Martha Payne”

Martha Paynes Neverseconds blog: http://neverseconds.blogspot.co.uk/

Martha Paynes Just giving fund raiser for kids being fed by Mary's Meals charity
http://www.justgiving.com/neverseconds