Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider  

News Archive

2/3/2015
National roll-out for sign language interpreting service
New video call service for deaf people is UK first.   A nationwide roll-out of a new online interpreting service will allow deaf people across Scotland to use sign language to contact public sector services.  
2/3/2015
CORMO-RANTThumbnail for article : CORMO-RANT
CORMO-RANT! was what this young scarfie got when he tried to lay claim to his rival's perch in the inner harbour at the North of Scotland port of Wick.  There was a bit of flap and snap but in the end, the youngster was sent packing with its tail between its webbed feet.  
Caithness International Science Festival 2015Thumbnail for article : Caithness International Science Festival 2015
As well as the schools programme, this year there will be activities for the general public throughout the week, including: Public Launch Event: Pulteneytown Primary Academy School, Tuesday 17th March at 6.30pm Festival Patron Lord-Lieutenant for Caithness Anne Dunnett, along with Festival Chairman Professor Iain Baikie, will launch this year's Festival and present prizes to the winners of this year's Schools Design Competition which were kindly donated by Kongsberg Maritime Ltd.   There will be performances by various presenters, along with "taster" workshops that were on offer to the school children throughout the festival week.  
1/3/2015
Photographic Competition - Yarrows Heritage TrustThumbnail for article : Photographic Competition - Yarrows Heritage Trust
Joseph Anderson Photo Contest Rules Joseph Anderson 2015 Photo Contest ends Friday July 31st, 2015, at 5:00 PM By submitting an entry, each contestant agrees to the rules of the contest.   Who may enter: There are 3 age categories Under 12 years of age on 31st July 2015 13 - 17 years of age on 31st July 18 years and over on 31st July.  
27/2/2015
Brown Bin Collection Re-Starts in MarchThumbnail for article : Brown Bin Collection Re-Starts in March
As garden waste bin collections resume on 2 March residents are being urged to check their brown bins carefully for any contamination before they put them out for their first collection.   Householders are reminded that plastic bags or any other plastic, glass, soil, stones and rubble must not be included and any contaminated bins will be rejected.  
27/2/2015
More Council Money For Advice Services
HIGHLAND Council Resources Committee has approved the allocation of £153,645 from the Council's £1 million Welfare Fund to provide advice services.   Two proposals have been approved.  
26/2/2015
PASS IT ON WEEK - 7TH TO 15TH MARCHThumbnail for article : PASS IT ON WEEK - 7TH TO 15TH MARCH
Pass it on Week is all about re-use.   It's a week dedicated to encouraging people to get involved in re-use activity of all shapes and sizes.  
24/2/2015
Would you like to support adult learners in your community?Thumbnail for article : Would you like to support adult learners in your community?
The PDA in Supporting Adult Literacies Learning at SCQF level 6 is intended for individuals who wish to assist with tutoring adults in numeracy and literacy.   This qualification is available through our Adult Learning Team.  
24/2/2015
What's On at Caithness Horizons: March 2015
Cafe Exhibitions Kimirea and John Glen Exhibition Monday 2nd March-Tuesday 31st March A display of work by local artists Kim Reade and John Glen will be on display throughout March.   Gallery Exhibitions Committed to Art Wednesday 4th March-Saturday 28th March "Committed to Art" showcases a selection of paintings and sculptures from committee members of the Society of Caithness Artists with the objective of proving that the committee has true empathy with all artists and particularly to those in the Caithness area.  
23/2/2015
Garden waste collections resume 2nd March but please check your bin!Thumbnail for article : Garden waste collections resume 2nd March but please check your bin!
As garden waste bin collections resume on 2 March residents are being urged to check their brown bins carefully for any contamination before they put them out for their first collection.   Householders are reminded that plastic bags or any other plastic, glass, soil, stones and rubble must not be included and any contaminated bins will be rejected.  
22/2/2015
Caithness Photographer Wins Top Media AwardThumbnail for article : Caithness Photographer Wins Top Media Award
Maciej Winiarczyk who lives in Caithness has won a top media award for his photography.   Maciej said "SWNS Press Photo of The Year 2014 Award for my picture of the Aurora, Milky Way and Volcanic Glow taken on Iceland last October and I've received my trophy few days ago." Maciej added,"Thanks to everybody for supporting me with special thanks to Adam Harnett picture editor at SWNS for seeing potential in my pictures.  
22/2/2015
Tips For Better School Environment And Academic Results
‘I can't concentrate, everything distracts me, my mind wanders and I struggle to find the motivation to keep studying.  Sleeping and stress pills, narcolepsy drugs, anti depressants, caffeine are my best friends before revising for the final exams.’ Common words you can hear from school pupils suffering from lack of concentration, who need a quick solution to their pre exam jitters.  
21/2/2015
Three chairs for Thurso medical practiceThumbnail for article : Three chairs for Thurso medical practice
Dr Anna Seborova tests one of three, padded, phlebotomy chairs presented to Thurso and Halkirk medical practice, by Caithness Heart Support Group.   In addition, a mobile drip stand and an emergency first aid/responder bag were handed over.  
21/2/2015
Pennyland Kids In Aldi AdvertThumbnail for article : Pennyland Kids In Aldi Advert
Pennyland pupils star in a an Ad for Aldi supermarkets..  
20/2/2015
Scottish Water urges customers in the Highlands to help keep the water cycle runningThumbnail for article : Scottish Water urges customers in the Highlands to help keep the water cycle running
It's been almost a year and a half since Scottish Water launched its national campaign to urge customers to ‘help keep the water cycle running’ and put an end to the high number of blockages caused by people putting the wrong things down their sinks and toilets.   The Scottish Highlands are renowned for their scenic beauty and yet some of the region’s towns and villages have revealed themselves to be harbouring something not so beautiful below their streets and houses.  
20/2/2015
Check If You Qualify For Early Learning and Childcare Entitlement
It has come to our attention that take-up of places in the Wick area for childcare places has been lower than expected.  In case anyone has not yet been made aware of the new entitlement we are publishing again the Scottish Government release on this matter.  
19/2/2015
Anyone For Tennis Say Thrumster KidsThumbnail for article : Anyone For Tennis Say Thrumster Kids
Thrumster school is sure to be hitting aces with all new tennis equipment and nets.   Children from Thrumster Primary are celebrating a successful application to the Bilbster wind farm fund for tennis equipment.  
19/2/2015
HomeStart Caithness Manager In Running for Guardian Award - Vote For HerThumbnail for article : HomeStart Caithness Manager In Running for Guardian Award - Vote For Her
The Business Services Co-ordinator of HomeStart Caithness, Rosemary Smith, has been one of 5 people shortlisted (out of 155 nominations) for a place in the prestigious charity "Trailblazer of the Year Award" run by Guardian newspaper.   Rosemary has been involved with Home-Start Caithness since 2010 and initially became involved as a home-visiting volunteer.  
19/2/2015
Can You Help A Student With Her Research? - Complete Her Survey Online
Dear sir or madam My name is Morag Redwood; I live in Easter Ross and am conducting a research study in Wick and surrounding area as part of my doctoral studies with Glasgow Caledonian University.   My study explores if and how living in a rural area affects the way people take part in the shaping of their communities.  
19/2/2015
Personal Empowerment Students Donate To Yorkhill CharityThumbnail for article : Personal Empowerment Students Donate To Yorkhill Charity
Personal Empowerment Programme (PEP) students with their cheque to Yorkhill Charity The students raised £214.94 over the Christmas period through activity books and Christmas decorations.   The PEP course aims to help students develop skills which can help them progress onto a vocational course at College or into employment.